April 2018

Well, here it is-- the bitter-sweet final blog post of the year. I've got very mixed emotions with how I feel about the year coming to an end. On one hand, it's exciting to have completed the program, done well, and taken a big stride towards medical school; on the other hand, the impending year off is kind of daunting, with waiting for apps to be processed and another year before (hopefully) starting my pursuit to be a physician. While I will certainly miss the structure of this program, the close relationships that were built, and of course, the teachers who put so much effort into their student's success, I know that this was only a stepping stone. The future holds much bigger things in store, and perhaps, many of my classmates and professors will be a part of that bigger picture in the future.

As far as volunteering for the month, this was a light month for me due to applications and work. While courseload was light, there were a number of other things that I was dealing with, so there wasn't a ton of free time to complete additional volunteer hours. However, the lone volunteer opp that I was able to complete this month was the "Take Steps" event for the Crohn's and Colitis Foundation. This event hit home for me in a couple different ways; not only was my brother diagnosed with colitis at a young age, maybe contributing to a lot of the influence I have to be a doctor, but I also met a friend in the program with colitis, Josh Samudre. I truly admire Josh's passion and forthright attitude for raising awareness for IBD. It is not something that everyone is aware of, but it affects so many lives around the world and the walk was a really great way to give back.

So, I guess this is it. It has been quite an exceptional go at it and I've learned so much along the way. For anyone who is debating whether or not to do this program in the future, I could not recommend it any more strongly than I will right now. Not only will you learn so many foundational concepts that will put you ahead of the curve in medical school, but you will also meet amazing people. From professors to classmates, everybody has something unique that they add to this program. Make yourself vulnerable and branch out a little bit; a year may seem like forever at the beginning, but believe me, it moves at the speed of light once you get going. This program is about so much more than just Pharmacology; it is about growing as, not only a student, but also as a person. Take advantage of all the resources at your disposal and make the most of this tremendous opportunity!

Signing off for the last time,
Steven

April Volunteer Hours: 7
2018 Volunteer Hours: 41
2017/2018 Total Volunteer Hours: 73

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2017

September 2017

January 2018