September 2017

Wow, to think that we are already half way through the semester is a pretty crazy thought. This past month of September has seen me do a variety of things that are brand new to me, ranging from Cardiovascular and Renal pharmacology to my first experience with Habitat for Humanity.

With most of our basic principles of pharmacology behind us, transitioning into specific organ systems was definitely a bit of a shock at first. However, with time these topics slowly began to grow more comfortable, and ultimately into something really enjoyable and engaging. It has been interesting to really be able to see the practicality of my studies, perhaps for the first time in my academic career... Sure learning Organic Chemistry and Physics have their place in the practical world, but being able to learn the mechanisms of drugs which are responsible for solving such real issues like heart failure or renal disease has really been a cool experience. I'm excited to continue the academic traverse through the body as the semester progresses.

As for community service, September was the first opportunity for me to engage in some volunteer work around the city. I was able to log 20 hours worth of community service this month. 8 of those hours can be attributed to one of the hardest and unique jobs I've had in my life, Habitat for Humanity construction. Right from the get-go the habitat leadership threw us into the flames and had us installing new laminate flooring within 30 minutes of our introduction to the world of construction. While we didn't get to finish the entire room we were working on, to consider the difference that we were making, one board at a time, in someone's life was a really awesome thing; as is the case with many things, it is easy to lose sight of what you're really doing in the moment, but very satisfying to reflect on it afterwards.

The other 12 hours of volunteer work were done at a KIPP school on St. Claude. KIPP was a school program that I became familiar with at the tail end of high school and always something I wanted to get some hands on exposure to. Well, this volunteer opportunity has afforded me just that: hands on exposure. I think what has really hit me the hardest during the past month at KIPP is just how much goes into making a school work. There are endless moving parts, both on the surface, as well as behind the scenes that make these things run so smoothly; for such hard work, it is absurd to me how much of a thankless job being in academia can be sometimes, whether you are a teacher or administrator, alike. Anyways, working with KIPP and being able to meet some of the awesome people there that keep everything running so smoothly has been a one of a kind experience, that again, I truly feel has made an impactful difference on other people's lives.




Community Service Hours in September: 20
Community Service Hours total: 20

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 2017

January 2018